Thursday 19 March 2015

Thursday morning session - 15 x 400m / 200m 'float'

It doesn't get any easier! This specific session is an old favourite of mine that I previously performed weekly leading up to my best ever half marathon back in 2011. I reintroduced it last week after a 4 year absence, and I can absolutely ensure you that it hurts just as much as I can ever remember. The aspect that draws me towards this session is that you can tweak the variables to specifically match your own personal objectives. The term 'float' can be ambiguous - and this particular week that term was somewhat an understatement. When performing the same session last week, I averaged 72 seconds for each 400m repeat, with an average split of 4'19 min/km pace for the 'floats.' On first observation, I was slightly disappointed with this morning's average of 73 seconds - however this was quickly put into perspective upon analysing my average 'float' pace of 4:13 min/km. Consequently, my average pace for the entire 9km was fractionally faster than last week, at 3:27 min/km. Furthermore, I proclaimed on Tuesday that summer had vanished, with an appreciable drop in humidity. My joy was short lived with the temperature gauge reading 22 degrees Celsius prior to warming up. A big thanks to Paul McClarnon who joined in with me this morning, and also had a solid session himself. An easy 40 minute recovery run on the cards for this afternoon - the planned route from Sydney Univerity to Cremorne (pretty dull, especially the part where I run over the Sydney Harbour Bridge), followed by a well deserved rest day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment