Tuesday 17 March 2015

Tuesday morning session - 7 x 1000m

World record conditions today with a sudden, but pleasantly welcome drop in humidity. Easter is definitely in the air! I have always maintained that the Autumn months are the best time of year in Sydney - as mentioned, the stickiness from the humidity evaporates (metaphorically), the afternoon north-easterly sea breeze disappears (leaving the ocean smooth all day long), the surf remains warm (the ocean temperature generally lags about 2-3 months behind the air temperature), and the crowds disappear. The only issue is the reduction in daylight - most evident if you are an early morning riser, with an official sunrise delivering only minutes before 7am.

Another solo session for myself this morning at my new stomping ground, Passmore Oval. Since identifying my limitations, I have made a concerted effort to improve my aerobic power and speed endurance. The session this morning was 7 x 1000m with a 1:15 minute float between efforts. The goal was to hold 3:10 min/km pace (5km pace), which I struggled to do when performing the same session last week. Thankfully, today was much more pleasant, as I recorded the following splits - 3:07, 3:09, 3:08, 3:06, 3:06, 3:09, and 3:05 - with the floats all under 4:30 min/km pace. I actually contemplated completing an eighth repetition, but stuck to my guns of only increasing one variable per week - this week being pace.

I will discuss with my coach Sean Williams on how I best progress this session for next week. Pace wise, I am more than happy, and will unlikely increase this variable. I would be interested in perhaps reducing the rest period by 15 seconds, or alternatively performing an eighth repetition.

I will attempt to get out for an easy 40 minute recover run this afternoon, most likely out to Shelley Beach from South Curl Curl and return. In between now and then, I am honoured and humbled to be heading over to the east side to assess and treat the legendary Keith Bateman and his wife Heidi today! For this of you who don't know, Keith is the world record holder for every distance from 1500m to 10 000m for his age group. On top of this, more importantly, he is a top bloke, and is always willing to help out others! I hope that I can get him and Heidi back running ASAP so they can have a crack at lowering their already impressive world records.

Given that it was such a beautiful morning, I tested out my photography skills by capturing some glimpses of the secret training ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment