Tuesday 31 March 2015

Tuesday morning session - 6 x 1200m

What a difference 200m makes! Or 40 seconds! Stubbornly, I set off this morning down to Manly Beach front in light rain to progress the session that I completed two weeks prior - 7 x 1000m with 1:15 recovery between sets. Averaging 3:07 min/km for the former, in hindsight it was perhaps too ambitious to attempt to replicate the same pace for an extra 200m per rep, given the same recovery period. The first effort was bang on 3:07 pace, but unfortunately that was it for the session. That horrible feeling of lactate accumulating in the legs - the annoyance of your legs not listening to your brain when commanding them to turn over quicker! That's exactly how I felt as the session progressed, with the second to sixth intervals progressively getting slower - 3:10, 3:15, 3:19, 3:20, 3:24 (Average = 3:16 min/km). Nevertheless, all were completed with a relatively short 1:15 minute recovery. Having last completed this session in 2013, my previous best average for the session was 3:17 min/km pace - however this was off a 3:00 minute recovery. Looking forward, I have set a baseline today, and know exactly where I stand for this session. I will replicate the session next Tuesday morning, but rest re-establish my target pace to average around 3:13 min/km, and build from there. Recovery run for 40 minutes this afternoon - hopefully the rain holds off.

No comments:

Post a Comment