Thursday 15 February 2018

Thursday - 6 x 800m (off 2’) (+ 200m, 150m, 100m, 2 x 80m, 2 x 60m)

I finally managed an interval session. I had been planning this one for a while, but today I finally put it into execution. Sure, it wasn’t a massive session, but I just needed this as an introduction to getting used to running at those sorts of speeds once again. Furthermore, I was quite cautious in my approach, as I knew it was better to complete the session slightly too comfortably than blowing up halfway through (which was a common occurrence in the past). I did these in the bike lane parallel to the beach, starting from Manly LSC. The odds had a nice tailwind, the evens had the headwind. Now I’m pretty certain (actually, I’m absolutely positive) that the GPS was under reading the 800m on the odd reps (northbound), as I was finishing a good 5-10 seconds past the 800m mark. Furthermore, I was slower on the odds despite having the tailwind. So taking that into consideration, I’m not sure that the odd reps are entirely accurate (I think I actually ran them faster than that), the times were 2:37, 2:34, 2:35, 2:34, 2:37, and 2:35. Nothing spectacular in terms of speed, but not entirely unexpected. I’ve got to start somewhere, and today sets a baseline. Consistency was the aim anyway. It is debatable whether or not I could have gotten another rep or two out, but I’m glad I stopped when I did (that’s what next Thursday is for). I was pretty tired by the end of that, but by no means collapsed on the floor. A nice long cooldown to bring up 17km total. Finished with some sprints. Another rest day tomorrow, which I’m funnily enough looking forward to embracing!

No comments:

Post a Comment