Thursday 21 July 2016

Thursday - 12 x 500m (2:45 cycle) (am) + 40 minutes easy (pm)

Finally some speed! Great turnout this morning despite the pouring rain (which progressively subsided as we went along) with Tom, Ben, Charlie and Charlie's dog. Richard, Justin and Macca all made various guest appearances throughout, but none were hardcore enough for 500m reps. Tom and I agreed to share the load - I'd lead the odds (controversially into a headwind), with Tom doing the evens. Consistency was key, and we were on par, running them in 95, 93, 93, 92, 92, 91, 91, 91, 91, 92, 91 and 92 seconds. Although Tom gapped me on the final rep with 200m to go. Really happy with that, feeling much stronger than I had envisaged. Good to know the speed is still there! An easy 5km cooldown for just over 16km all up. Hitting the weights now, then a nice easy 40 minutes this afternoon. Looks like the weather is clearing up!

Finally got my Garmin back! The gentlemen in the shop were kind enough to let me exchange the Forerunner 225 for the Forerunner 230. I'm unimpressed with Garmin for misleading myself (along with others) that wrist-based heart-rate technology was currently valid and reliable. It was rubbish. So it was a no-brainer to revert back to the chest strap, which surprisingly was not uncomfortable this afternoon. Took it for a test run over an easy 40 minutes before lunch - and have some stats! 8.78km at 4:33's, average heart-rate of 122 beats per minute holding a steady cadence of 176. About 25km all up for the day. Rest day tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment