Tuesday 26 July 2016

Tuesday - 4 x (5 minute effort, 1 minute jog, 1 minute hard), off 2 minutes rest (am) + 40 minutes easy (pm)

The good news is that this morning I was able to identify my weakest link. My high end aerobic capacity (which admittedly hasn't really been targeted post-injury) is lagging all other areas of my running fitness. It's those 3-5 minute hard efforts that my body hasn't been exposed to in a while, and didn't I feel it this morning! Met Burkey and Justin at Manly LSC at 6am, the latter doing an 8km tempo effort. Wasn't too sure how to attack this, as 5 minute efforts are close to a mile - so as always, taking the relatively conservative pace initially is very important. Burkey went out bloody hard, as I kind of expected, and I would have been gob smacked if he was able to hold it. Let's just say I wasn't gob smacked. A slightly headwind running up to Queenscliff - meaning that both the first and third 5 minute efforts were directly into it, with the first 500m or so of the second and forth 5 minute efforts into it as well. The flip side was that each subsequent 1 minute effort was southbound with a slight tailwind. All-in-all, effort wise was certainly there - just the pace is lagging. I simply need more of these types of sessions (as I have been doing lots and lots of 3+km efforts with 7km tempos). 1.52km (3'17), 0.33km (3'02); 1.53km (3'16), 0.33km (3'02); 1.49km (3'21), 0.32km (3'09); 1.52km (3'17), 0.32km (3'06). All up averaging 3:17.75 min/km pace (didn't want to round it up) for the 5 minute efforts (1.515km). Did a similar session in November (5 x 1 mile, off 2 minutes) averaging 3:13's, so still a bit of improvement left. A nice and easy cooldown with both Burkey and Justin. Just over 18km all up. Going to hit some weights now, then an easy 40 minutes before lunch.

An easy 40 minutes around Randwick before a late lunch. Made the mistake of wearing the heart rate chest strap too high once again - but figured this out after about 7 minutes, so all good thereafter. 8.65km in 4:38's. Just shy of 27km for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment