Thursday 28 July 2016

Thursday - Hills and 15 minute tempo (am) + 40 minutes easy (pm)

I was stoked to have Quentin join me this morning - thought I was going to be solo once again! We met at the bottom of Darley Rd at 6am (after a 20 minute warm-up) ready to go. The hills consisted of 1 x 4 minute (1st minute back hard), then 6 x 1 minute hills (the 1st and 4th with hard runs back down). A nice way to get the heart rate up! Just shy of 21 minutes all up, getting in just over 5km. A short break before hitting the dreaded 15 minute tempo (was tempted to ignore Gary's advise and do this first)! This is where having Quentin with me made the world of difference. Similar to last week with Tom, we were able to share the work throughout - making the effort psychologically that much more bearable. We kind of led a kilometer each. The first two kilometers were 3:19, 3:20, before hitting two slower splits of 3:28, 3:30 (I often wonder how much the GPS loses its bearings between North Steyne SLSC and Raglan St), before finishing with a 3:17 split for the final 400m. 4.42km all up in 3:24's. Not too bad at all considering the hills prior. Effort wise I really kept it 'comfortably hard,' averaging 163 beats per minute, maxing out at 168. The heart rate graph looked textbook! A nice easy cooldown for 5km bringing up just over 19km for the morning. A great way to start another stunning day. I'm going to give myself a few days off from the weights, as I have been feeling flat lately (although I think the last two Saturday sessions may have been more of a factor). Another easy 40 minutes planned for later today.

An easy 40 minutes around Manly this afternoon. 8.62km in 4:38's. Just under 28km for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment