Saturday 7 January 2017

Saturday - 8 x 650m (off 30 seconds jog)

Was stoked to have Scott come down and join me this morning. Haven't done this session for literally 12 months; I'd forgotten how stubborn and tough it is! The initial plan was to run these as 8 x 2 minute efforts (instead of 650m) up at North Head, but decided to go to Passmore instead - it's flat (not that that matters), but I didn't want to burnout of North Head (as I have done before). Alternated between clockwise and anticlockwise laps. Times were solid (for this time of year); 2:01, 2:04, 2:04, 2:05, 2:03, 2:06, 2:07 and 2:06 (average 2:04 - 3:09 min/km pace). The first two or three felt fine, but then the stupidly short recovery between successive reps really starts to take its toll. I was happy with that though, managed to stay and share the work with Scotty for the first 6 reps, and it was in the back half of the final two reps that he gapped me slightly. But no shame in that - he is in great form at the moment, so that is encouraging for me. I feel that this past week has done me a world of good - it's like as if a switch has suddenly turned on and I am now absorbing and adapting to the training. Still got some significant gains to make, but encouraging nonetheless after a few months of not really seeing any improvement. A nice and easy 5km cooldown followed by a jump in the ocean. Only a short one all up (15km), but very intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment