Saturday 14 January 2017

That's it, I'm doing a Nico Rosberg!

After hammering myself in training over the past two years simply so I can run faster, I've decided that I am no longer willing to do this anymore. Running has gotten to the point where it controls my life and dictates everything else I do. I started running back in 2010 with the simple goal of getting fit and to act as a distraction from studying (yes, I was very OCD with my grades at university). However, it is now at the point where everything else in my life comes after running. I could understand this if I was a chance for Olympic selection, but this was never ever going to be the case. Besides, I'm 30 years old now (not that that is old by any means), but I really have to focus on the more important things in life, such as my family, my friends, my career, and meeting a girl and starting my own family. The latter will never happen with my current strict regime. I will definitely continue to run, and still very much look forward to my Sunday Long Run with the Manly Crew. But I won't be doing any structured running in the near foreseeable future. I plan to also incorporate a bit of diversity into my training, such as swimming and some weights. The 'athletism' is something that I used to possess, but have since lost over the past few years with my obsessive focus on a single sport. Running will always be a huge part of my life, it is a part of my identidy. I just plan to enjoy it now, something that I haven't done in a long time.

Anyway, a nice and easy 15km run this morning along the beachfront. Bloody hot and humid. Who cares about pace and power. Now going to get changed and swim down to Manly. Time to enjoy life once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment