Saturday 8 August 2015

Saturday session - 8km threshold at Centennial Park

Finally getting my pace and passion for running back again! Up to 12km threshold was on the cards this morning, although that distance was never the intention. I was aiming for either 8 or 10km, depending on both how I felt and the pace. Went out and felt average, holding 3:20 min/km for the first 2km or so. Settled into a rhythm, and actually felt amazing at around the 5km mark. A quick look at the watch revealed an average of 3:18 min/km pace. Was tossing up whether to go 8 or 10 at this point. At the start of the eighth lap, despite still feeling good, I was starting to push slightly beyond threshold pace, as indicated by my breathing. Decided to finish off strong, completing 8km in an average pace of 3:17 min/km pace. Arguably could have held that pace for another 2km, but would have definitely been beyond threshold pace. I now know to train smarter, not harder (finally, after all these years)! Ran another lap to cold down with Brad (great to see him back running again despite his 'stress fracture') and Damo, before Damo and I went a lap around the White fence. All up, 17km and feeling strong. Borderline call in the end pulling out of this year's C2S, as today was the first session since pre-Gold Coast that I have felt myself again. Nevertheless, I need to look at the bigger picture, and therefore decided to aim for consistent training in the lead up to Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment