Sunday 18 September 2016

Bridge Run - 6th in 29:47

While I was initially disappointed with the result, upon reflection it wasn't too bad. Finished 6th in 29:47 - didn't get chicked either. Went out hard and hung with Scott and the other guy for the first kilometer over the bridge. However, the pace was just beyond my limit, so I was dropped. Held onto fourth for the next few kilometers before two young guys came past at the end of Macquarie St. Then it was a matter of survival and ensuring that Vic didn't 'chick' me. Got to the finish line in one piece. Congratulated Scotty, had a quick chat to Rachel, before Erika and I slowly jogged back to my car at Neutral Bay. My initial disappointment was overcome when looking more closely at the results once I got home. The fact that Scotty was so far in front was more or less down to him having an absolutely phenomenal run - holding 3:10's!!! I kind of wish the race was an extra kilometer as I would have loved to have seen him join Tom as the second sub-32 runner this year. He will surely do that in Melbourne if all goes to plan. My average pace was 3:21's, which is roughly 33:30 10k pace. And in all honesty, I'm happy with that at this point in time, given that two weeks ago I was far slower than that. The frustrating thing I guess is comparing the pace to what I was running pre-injury. But I simply need to stay consistent and I am sure the results will come. Eating more, taking my recovery seriously (by slowing down on the non-session runs), and racing more will help me get there. Keen to start doing some more ParkRun's - especially if I can get Scotty and Tom down there (although I won't be pushing them at the very moment). Might try and do this next weekend. The other good news is that I am hungry to keep racing, which is a massive change in mindset to my previous fear of it. I've got nothing to loose and much to gain. Well done to everyone else out there this morning, especially to those who ran the half and full marathon. Great PB's by Burkey, Darren and Renee in the half! I heard that Burkey cried as well! Sounds like he didn't bother Tom (pacing the 80 minute pack) with thousands of questions throughout the race.

2 comments:

  1. Great running Lewis! And by the way, some wonderful poetic licence in your description of the Half, PB's for myself and Darren yes, but as for tears, we didnt get that excited! However, Tom did a great job of pacing, he held back for a guy who looked like he may not make the sub 80min mark and roared him on, that guy, once over the line did get a bit emotional....I did have time to chat with Tom, born in Reading..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great running Lewis! And by the way, some wonderful poetic licence in your description of the Half, PB's for myself and Darren yes, but as for tears, we didnt get that excited! However, Tom did a great job of pacing, he held back for a guy who looked like he may not make the sub 80min mark and roared him on, that guy, once over the line did get a bit emotional....I did have time to chat with Tom, born in Reading..

    ReplyDelete