Saturday 3 September 2016

Striders 10km North Head (am) + 40 minutes easy (pm)

Not the time I was after, but a solid session nonetheless. Felt a bit flat warming-up, but at least it was better weather than yesterday. A solid turnout this morning, with more than usual due to the last minute cancellation of the Coastal Classic. Lined up with the others and before we knew it we were off and racing. Tom, Scotty and Robin got out fast, and I just stuck on the back of them for the first few kilometers. However, after the third kilometer I couldn't stay there any longer (well, I could have but wouldn't have finished the race) so I was off the back. Pretty lonely for the next few kilometers until John Binfield and Dave Criniti came past at about 6km. I was pretty spent at this stage, so didn't even really stay with them. At this stage I was simply in survival mode - making sure that I completed the distance was key. Surprisingly, I was able to wheel Dave back in at the 9km mark, and started making inroads on John, but ran out of time in the end. Settled with 5th place in a relatively slow 34:16. Slowest time up there in a long time, but was happy to know that just about everyone else had the same sluggish times (except Scotty, who had a blinder finishing just behind Tom in 32:50-something). It was pretty windy (which sounds like a good excuse anyway). Joined the others for a nice and easy 5km cooldown cheering on the others as they made their way to the finish line. So overall, disappointed with the time - but I definitely pushed it effort wise (as shown by the heart rate monitor). Just got keep on pushing through and get some more races (and perhaps some ParkRun's) under the belt. Just under 20km's all up. Joined everyone at The Emporium post-race for a debrief.

40 minutes easy this afternoon along the beachfront. 8.55km in 4:41's.

No comments:

Post a Comment