Saturday 10 September 2016

Saturday - 10 x 400m hill repeats (quick jog back down recovery) (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

It's been a while since I have done this one, so it was made all the easier with Scotty showing up. A longer than usual warm-up in some light drizzle up to North Head and down to Collins Flat. Can't believe how much better I am feeling by backing off the pace of my 'non-session' runs throughout the week. The session is essentially a 30 minute hilly tempo run. Thinking of it as that changed the way I approached the session. Previously I would look at it as 10 seperate efforts, but given the recovery between reps is more of a 'float' (i.e. it's still hard), treating it as a tempo makes more sense (and as it turned out, more comfortable and more consistent). The first few reps Scotty and I shared the work evenly. But about the fourth rep, I was hanging on during the uphills, but trying to maintain a consistent pace coming down. The eighth hill hurt - Scotty made me go to the front, and it honestly felt like I was running with concrete shoes. The final two were simply all about survival - I felt like a sitting duck running up, but luckily Scott felt the same. Managed to get it done in 29:56, with Scotty just over 30. A bloody solid session, and happy with the effort. Not my fastest, but definitely not my slowest. Similarly to during the week, I pushed 90-95%, going very hard but saving a tiny bit in reserve (I didn't need to collapse at the end). My new GPS really doesn't like loops, reading very short at 7.8km (Scott ran the exact same session and got 8.19km). And the heart-rate has been playing up for the last few sessions. What is it with Garmin - they are fantastic when they work, which unfortunately isn't very often. Perhaps the new Apple iWatch (now with a GPS) might be the way to go! A nice and easy 5km cooldown for about 18km all up. Now time for some homemade French toast on my homemade teff bread! Did I mention it was homemade?

An easy 8km along the beachfront this afternoon. 4:58's at 114 beats per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment