Saturday 24 September 2016

Saturday - Rest needed....

Should have listened to my body. After a subpar session on Thursday, on top of a couple of poor race performances in recent weeks - today was the final nail in the coffin; pulling out of Parkrun! Warming up with Scotty, I felt heavy and lethargic. Stubbornly put it down to 'heavy legs' which is not too unusual for me on a Saturday morning. But after a few strides, I knew that Parkrun was going to be a struggle. A first kilometer in 3'07 feeling comfortable and control suddenly gave way to running out of spark just meters into the second kilometer. Scotty and another guy started opening up a gap and I couldn't respond. The pace started slowing a lot, falling to low 4's at the start of the third kilometer. Decided to begin the recovery process early by crossing the bridge and finishing early. Stood around with the volunteers as we all cheered Scotty home for a sensational 15:50. Made even more remarkable by essentially running solo, and into a headwind for the final stretch. A slow trot back home for at least something this morning. I've been in this situation far too many times before, so I really should know what to do. I think the plan is to completely rest tomorrow, followed by an easier week next week. I probably need to evaluate my double runs - after all, my best run to date was the 2015 Gold Coast Half Marathon which was run on daily single runs. Sometimes less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment