Saturday 31 December 2016

Saturday - ParkRun + 6 x 30 seconds (on/off)

I had originally planned to run Mona Fartlek solo, but changed my mind late yesterday, thinking that it would be good to at least have some company - hence ParkRun. Went in with no expectations whatsoever, I simply wanted to bank a time to see where I was at (honestly, sub-17 was the best I thought I could aim for). Ridiculously humid today, I ran the warmup with my singlet in my hand, only putting it on right before the start. Was stoked to see some faster guys there today, which makes pushing hard all the much easier. Jake Stollery had turned up, and I knew he would be fast - I had just treated him a week earlier. Decided to run purely on feel, not looking at the watch once the entire run. Some guy in a blac singlet took off and led for the first 700m or so, before Jake and I kind of eased past him. Around the 1km mark Jake put the hammer down and I just couldn't do anything about it. I just kept my tempo the same and felt strong the entire way. Second place in 16:54. Nothing special by any means, but am really happy to get out there and set a time. Jake was just under a minute in front, sneaking under the 16 minute mark, a great time in those conditions. A few minutes break before I ran some 30 second efforts around one of he adjacent ovals. Then a nice scenic cooldown along the beachfront with Jake for the first kilometer. Just over 16km all up. A nice way to end the year. Time to jump into the ocean before trying to catch up with rest of the Manly crew at The Emporio following their long run.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that when first time I took a part in race so I was shocked to see the most experienced guys as well but when I ran, I ran faster than them and that was the day when I remember the point of Physiotherapy North Ryde that if you are physically fit so you can run faster than anyone.

    ReplyDelete