Thursday 29 December 2016

Thursday - 40 minute tempo

Today was always going to be tough, given the forecast of 41 degrees. Met Barts, Robin, Scotty, Anthony, Sam, Ben and Toby (and Tom who came later) at the stone arch at North Head for a 7am start. At the start of the week, I had planned a 20 minute tempo run. But after talking to Robin on Tuesday, I agreed to join him for a 16km tempo instead. It seems that we were able to convince a few others as well. Felt really comfortable and controlled for the first 8km, then within a blink of an eye of was struggling. Got this sensation on the hill on the way back on the second lap of the North Head loop. Contemplated pulling the pin there and then, but this sensation resided as soon as it flattened out again. Once again, I found myself setting the pace. Then on the start of the third lap I struggled again. It was the inclines, they were killing me. Persisted for another kilometer, then looked at my watch. 38:30. Convinced myself to go for the extra 1:30. At this stage it was only Robin, Scotty, myself and Tom. Finished just near the start of the old Striders startline. 11km in 40 minutes, 3:36's at 288 watts. Slower than I wanted, but everyone was the same today - which is better for putting things into perspective. Tom stayed on slightly longer, with Robin and Scotty finishing at 13.8km. Good to see that I wasn't the only one struggling out there this morning. Continuing on would have depleted me for about a week I reckon! A nice and cruise cooldown back home for 20km all up. Time to go for a swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment