Saturday 6 May 2017

Saturday - Sydney 10 (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Well, that's about where I predicted to be. 34:38, well outside my best of 32:23 last year, but at least it's a start. Went out harder than I probably should have (I think I had a 3:10 first kilometer), before realising that the guys that I usually stay with are too fast for me at the moment. From about the 3km mark I was simply in survival mode (yes, that early). Simply just had to convince myself not to stop. I was kind of like a sitting duck, people would progressively catch and pass me - didn't have much fight left in me. Just held on and did my own thing. I would have loved to sneak under 34, but getting under 35 was in all honesty more realistic. Just happy to get back out there and race again (forgot how hard it is)! Great runs by everyone, but special mentions must go to Toby (33:13) and Ben (sub-35), massive PB's by both. And Barts - he loves to go low 32's! 4km warm-up and 4km cool-down. Surprisingly not too sore now (nor should I be with that time), so might even head back out for a double later today. Will try to have another solid four weeks of training before I race again (Striders), but the real goal is the Gold Coast half marathon in 8 weeks. I will see how I progress over the next month before booking flights, etc. Plan B will be the Sydney Harbour 10km (or 9.6km, depending on who you talk to) if I don't feel my fitness is up to scratch for the former.

Managed my first double since September (in fact, since my last race - The Bridge Run). It was just nice to get out on a beautiful afternoon (somewhat inspired by Eliud Kipchoge's 2:00:25 marathon). My pace was slightly off his, despite only running 8km. 4:38's.

No comments:

Post a Comment