Tuesday 15 March 2016

Mammoth Tuesday - 79 minuous (15 easy, 22 effort, 5 easy, 22 fartlek, 15 easy) (am) + 30 minutes recovery (pm)

The day didn't start well when the alarm woke me up from the worlds deepest sleep. It was pitch black and raining. To make matters worse, I got a message from Tom saying that he needs more sleep. It would have been so much easier to do the same, but I don't know what time today I would have ended up getting out there. Decided to run laps around Manly Pool as everywhere else was dark.  Felt okay once I got going. Started the 22 minute effort just past Jamie's place, straight onto the incline. It was at this point I started to loose confidence in the GPS - it was all over the shop! A perfect excuse to run purely on feel. I wanted to go harder, but knowing what laid ahead prevented myself from unleashing. According to the GPS, I averaged 3:27 for the first effort. Then came the fartlek. I did actually do these more or less as intervals, holding back on the floats about a minute per kilometer slower. It was 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 minute efforts with 1 minute float in between. All in all, just a bloody long session. 15 minutes easy at the end led myself back home along the beachfront. 3:56 average for the entire 79 minutes. Got home and uploaded the data, and it confirmed my thoughts - no satellite maps on Garmin Connect or Strava. So not sure how accurate the pace was, but effort wise it was solid enough. Just over 20km all up.

Out for a late run just before a late lunch. The sky has cleared. 6.48km at 4:38's, 121 beats. The Garmin likes Randwick much more than anticlockwise laps of Manly Pool. Thank God, that could have been expensive otherwise!

2 comments:

  1. It's a great session mate. I did a few of these leading into SMH Half last year and got me fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, it's massive though! I'm used to doing just the effort or the fartlek as a stand alone session, so had to hold back a bit in order to simply finish the session. So dark as well, so ended up running anticlockwise loops of the golf course/pool. Enjoy your session later today. Let me know if you are keen for tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete