Thursday 24 March 2016

Thursday torture - 3km (off 500m jog), 2km (off 500m jog), 1km (am) + 35 minutes recovery (pm)

Tired and unmotivated this morning. It's been a big few days at work and uni, and a lack of sleep is taking its toll. Coupled with the fact that I have essentially been running solo (Tom is away, Jamie doesn't respond to his phone anymore, Darren and Erika still have another week of recovery), it was effort simply getting my shoes on this morning. Decided to complete the session running anticlockwise laps of the golf course. It always reads short on my GPS running this direction (as opposed to over reading running clockwise), which is a good thing for me as it stops me from trying to break GPS speed records (or so I thought). Also, it's quite undulating - especially in comparison to the pancake flat beachfront. Ran the first effort in 3:14's, which I was extremely happy with. Notably too fast though, as I could probably take a few more seconds a kilometer off that as it reads short. A 500m shuffle ('jog' is an overstatement) then straight into the 2km effort. My legs were still dead from the initial 3km, so it was simply a matter of holding on. A net uphill during this effort made the average pace an unflattering 3:21. Again, another 500m shuffle before starting the last effort. I was gone before starting this one. Again, an even greater net uphill, with a slow 3:25. Again, I'm not reading too much into the average paces - I know that compared to previous anticlockwise loops that today's effort was quite good. I was shattered at the end, so the effort was definitely there (if not slightly too hard). A nice easy jog back along the beachfront where I was greeted by some nice looking surf. Just shy of 17km all up.

Out stupidly late for a night run. 8:50pm it was when I laced up and left home. Luckily it was a beautiful evening - people out celebrating the start of the long weekend, not a cloud in the sky, a full moon, and a mild northerly breeze. World record conditions. Took it super super super easy - 7.37km in 4:45's, a very low 117 beats per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment