Thursday 3 March 2016

Thursday - 5 x 800m hills (jog recovery) (am) + 30 minutes easy (pm)

It was only Jamie and myself this morning for a 6am start (Erika and Darren started at 5:30am, but were doing an extra rep and a 30 minute tempo after, so couldn't justify getting up even earlier). The original plan was to run Collins Flat, but upon reaching Darley Rd we decided it was too dark for the former. Not a bad idea, as I think I may be mentally scarred from that place. Similar to Tuesday, I really ensured that I held back slightly - especially for the first few reps. Had forgotten how long an 800m hill rep actually is! The good side is that the recovery is more than sufficient, so you can almost complete each rep fresh. Further, Darley Rd progressively gets flatter - a nice psychological boast. Times were 3:12, 3:16, 3:16, 3:19 and 3:18. So fairly consistent for me, which I was happy with. Only really had to dig into the red zone on the back half of the final two reps - otherwise felt strong and controlled. The jog recovery's progressively got quicker as the session went on. Poor old Jamie wasn't feeling it this morning, pulling out after the third rep. Long cool-down for 17km all up. Will either do the Bay Run (first time ever) or Mrs. Macquarie's Chair later this afternoon for an easy 30 minutes. Complete rest day tomorrow, before a hit out on Saturday at my local Striders race. A shame it couldn't be postponed a week or three - not really in great form, but looking forward to a good session nonetheless.

Bay Run this afternoon in between clients. First time ever. 30 minutes took me just shy of a lap - 6.62km at 4:32's. 124 average heart rate. Nice and easy, but hot and windy. Enjoyable.

3 comments: