Thursday 31 March 2016

Thursday stamina set - 79 minutes continuous (15 easy, 22 effort, 5 easy, 22 fartlek, 15 easy) (am) + 30 minutes recovery (pm)

I was actually dreading this session. Last time I did this, I ran laps of the golf course solo in the dark and rain. Things were made tougher last night when Tom messaged saying that he had to skip the session due to work - I was hoping to share the work with him (it's still hard, it just makes the session psychologically easier). Nevertheless, there was still a good turnout. I met Erika, Darren, Jamie and Burkey at Queenscliff SLSC at 6am straight after the 15 minutes easy. We agreed to running in the walkers lane (not the cycling lane) between Queenscliff and Shelly Beach. I was slightly apprehensive as I know how crowded it can get, but was glad I listened in the end as it was really nice. I actually felt great today (must have been the lamb backstrap last night), probably partially due to myself actually respecting the session this time around. Remembering that you have another 22 minute fartlek after the initial 22 minute effort ensures that you pace it appropriately. Went out at just over 3:20 pace, but felt fine and bought it home strong finishing in 3:19's. This bought me to about a third of the way between Manly LSC and Shelly Beach. I turned around and regrouped with the others before starting the fartlek. I ensured that I didn't go too hard this time, and probably put greater emphasis on the floats, aiming to hold sub or low 4's. Ended up averaging 3:26's for this part of the session, so a significant improvement on last time (although it was on a different course).  Again, felt strong, comfortable and relaxed. A nice steady cool-down for the remaining 15 minutes for exactly 21.1km all up for the 79 minutes. 3:45's. Another beautiful, but dark morning. Only one to go (sleep in tomorrow) before daylight savings ends. Runner of the session would have to be Burkey - never seen him complete a session further than 400's. He looked strong as well!

An easy 30 minutes for almost two laps of the white fence at Centennial Park this afternoon in between teaching and treating. 4:25's at 124 beats per minute. 27.9km for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment