Tuesday 1 March 2016

Tuesday speed - 6 x 1km (5 minute cycle) (am) + 30 minute recovery run (pm)

My first session with Manly's Run Crew. Met at Nolan's for 6 times 1km reps. Haven't done a session on grass since the Centenial Park days with SWEAT. We ran the odds clockwise, the evens anti-clockwise around a very well marked (except for a random purple coloured cone) course set out by Tom. Also joining in were Jamie, Erika, Darren and Tim. My plan was to simply pace off Tom and not look at my watch throughout. As a result, I paced the efforts consistently - something that remains elusive when I train solo. Interesting how the GPS gives different readings on the same course depending on which direction you run. As it was, the clockwise loops were in general 10 seconds faster - or, the anti-clockwise loops were about 60m further. As such, the times were 3:07, 3:11, 3:01, 3:13, 2:59 and 3:09. Honestly, the first four I felt as if I was holding back - but about the halfway mark of the fifth I started to feel some burning in the legs. It wasn't until the last 300m or so in the final rep where Tom just pulled away from me a bit. Could have dug deep to hold on but I am still reluctant to over exert and send myself backwards another week or three. Nevertheless, a very solid session by all. Did a nice long cool-down with the group progressively getting thinner, the last 2km solo back along the beachfront. Another cracking day ahead - will definitely get in the water this morning!

Was a bit paranoid this afternoon, especially as I would traditionally run 8km for my second run. Gary had put down 30 minutes. No choice but to stick to this. Nice and easy three and a bit laps around Randwick before lunch. 6.45km in 4:39's, holding a nice and easy 124 heart rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment