Saturday 25 June 2016

Saturday - 16km with a 20 minute controlled effort (am) + 40 minutes easy on the stationary cycle (pm)

I jinxed myself on Wednesday. Here I was talking it up, how my Achilles was back - only to wake up quite sore on Thursday morning. It was a 50/50 call, but I reluctantly (probably a good thing in hindsight) decided to sleep in. Two days of complete rest (something I haven't done in a long time)! I spoke to Gary regarding this morning, and he encouraged me to come along to the squad at Centennial Park. Thought long and hard about this, but decided to stay local in the end. The combination of an uneven surface, along with a lack of confidence and speed led me to believe running solo at Manly was a better option. So I simply replicated the session that I had originally planned for Thursday morning. Ran the entire 16km up and down along the beachfront. An advantage of winter (especially on a freezing morning such as today) is that you can get up a bit later and still avoid the crowds. Kept the 20 minute effort controlled, but honestly by the end of it I was hurting (in a good way). Managed 3:25min/km pace, so not too bad (sad to think that this time 51 weeks ago I held 3:19's for 21.1km)! As Tom said, don't worry about pace when returning from injury (which I honestly didn't today - only calculating this once I got home). Cruised the final 22/3 minutes to get 16km. Saw Jamie as I was finishing - he is slowly coming back from his hip injury. Makes my injury seem like a little niggle in comparison. Might do some weights later today, unsure about spinning the legs on the bike. Got the program for next week, so am very excited to get back into it! I've reset my goals the next few months after pulling out of the Gold Coast and SH10km. I think C2S, Blackmores Half (which is going to be held on a new course), with the pinnacle being Burnie 10 in October (two days before I hit my third decade)!

Ended up getting an easy 40 minutes on the bike this afternoon. 20.65km at Fitness First in Dee Why. Now at home finishing up with some weights! Going to get massive!

No comments:

Post a Comment