Thursday 30 June 2016

Thursday - 90 minutes with a 20 minute effort thrown in (am) + 40 minutes on the stationary cycle (pm)

The plan was 80 minutes easy. I wanted to test myself a bit, so had decided early on to throw in a 20 minute effort - similar to Saturday morning. Equipped with my GPS, reliability was ensured. Ran steady along the beachfront, and was very happily joined by Quentin at about the 16 minute mark. He to was keen for a sessions, so was more than willing to give the 20 minute effort a shot. Today felt remarkably better than Tuesday. And consistency was key this morning. Unfortunately the GPS went flat at the 18 minute mark, so just kept running until I heard Quentin's watch beep at the 6km mark (just over 20 minutes). Not sure what the last kilometer split was, but the preceding splits were 3:22, 3:20, 3:22, 3:21, and 3:24. So I would anticipate around 3:21-22 average pace for the 6km. So very happy with that, especially as it felt more controlled (and faster) than the same effort on Saturday.min fact, the 20 minutes was slightly faster than the average pace for the 2 x 3km efforts on Tuesday. Straight into 40 minutes of easy running, we decided to run up to North Head. Quentin took me on a tour around sites I have never seen - including the highest point above sea level at North Head - which is just what I needed after the effort (not)! Two highlights were stopping momentarily at the lookout at the Fairfax Loop to check out the amazing sunrise over Bluefin Point. The second was finding a $10 note on Darley Rd on the way home. At this point the planned 80 minutes had already elapsed, and I still had over a kilometer to get home. Got back to Pine St at about 87 minutes, so thought 'why not make it 90?' Not sure what the total distance was, but 22.5km would be a solid a guess. Just really happy to get my first solid effort in post-injury where I am quite satisfied with the pace and the feeling of running at a faster speed. And the company made the session more enjoyable. Will likely try to spin the legs later on today followed by some weights - just picked up a squat rack yesterday so can now add squats to my repertoire of deadlifts and squats. Talk about variety!

Got out just before (a late) lunch - down to Manly Beach Health Club for 19.3km on the stationary bike (40 minutes). Despite my early declaration of adding in squats, time got the better of me so simply stuck to deadlifts and cleans - although I slightly increased the weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment