Thursday 2 June 2016

Thursday cross-training - 8 x 1000m (off 60 seconds) + 8km steady (am) + 40 minute spin on the stationary bike (pm)

Well, my 7-day free trial at Manly Beach Health Club officially expired yesterday. I rang them up stating that I am happy to pay for a casual membership, or perhaps even a 7-day pass (I don't want to commit long term as I plan to be back running ASAP). However, they wanted a $90 joining fee and a minimum 2-month pass, with the requirement of a minimum 30-day notification period of cancellation. Too complicated, I went elsewhere. Was going to try Anytime Fitness in Manly, but they didn't have admin people available until later this morning. So I went to Fitness First at Dee Why. Was happy to pay the $20 casual fee, but then realised that the lady at Fitness First in Randwick never asked for my code number for the free one session trial. So tried using it this morning, and it worked! A fantastic gym, and surprisingly not too many wankers there! Got an ergo (the dreaded Concept 2) and went for 1km reps. Each was progressively quicker, starting at 1:57.3 down to 1:54.5/500m average pace. Quite brutal actually. But felt controlled, and very happy with how it went. A few minutes to stand up and walk around, then into an easy steady 8km to get just past the 16km mark (34:00 exactly). A solid session. The Achilles is feeling so-so, but haven't taken any Ibuprofen yet. At least I haven't lost any fitness!

Came to the realisation that the Nike's I have been wearing predominantly (both running and at work/study) have half the heel missing out of the sole on the left side! That's the side I am injured on. Put the Saucony's on this morning, and can jog slightly with only a very mild discomfort! Could it have been as simple as that? Fingers crossed. Tempted to try a very light and easy run in the Saucony's, but after some words of wisdom from Tom & Emma, I'm going to have a rest day tomorrow and go from there. 40 minutes of easy spinning on the stationary bike. 28.1km. Clearly differences in machines account for the discrepancies in cycling distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment