Thursday 18 August 2016

Thursday - 20 x 1 minute (off 45 seconds) (am) + 40 minutes easy (pm)

Absolutely stoked to have a great turnout this morning. Met Tom, Darren, Quentin and Macca at Nolan's Reserve after an easy 20 minute warm-up. We had decided to complete the set on the grass, given that our bodies were still screaming somewhat following the C2S (even four days later). Purely ran this one on feel, as did everyone else. Quite heavy underfoot with some long(ish) wet grass (annoyed that I wore brand new socks). Kept the session consistent, with all reps between 320 and 330m (with the exception of the first and last, which were 310 and 340m respectively). I must say, I feel much better post-run than before. A nice and easy 5km cool-down for about 18.6km all up. I'm loving this weather!!! Another 40 minutes easy planned for this afternoon.

Well that was a revelation. I hadn't actually told anyone, but my left Achilles tendon has been sore and swollen for the past 6 weeks (higher up than the injury that sidelined me in June). I could run through it, but it was stubborn and always there. Since returning from the initial Achilles injury, I switched shoes to the Nike Flyknit Racer, as these had a higher heel-to-toe offset. Not realising the correlation between these shoes and the Achilles, I just switched back to the old Saucony A6 Racer's, and it was like I was on drugs! No pain, cadence was much easier to hold (didn't even have to think about this), the pace was slightly quicker, and the heart rate was lower! And, still as I am standing here right now writing this, I have no pain whatsoever! Could it have been as simple as changing pairs of shoes? I will find out over the next few days. Fingers crossed. Anyway, an easy 40 minutes along the beachfront. 4:38's for 8.65km, holding a very easy 121 beats per minute. Just over 27km for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment