Tuesday 21 April 2015

Tuesday session - Mona Fartlek in cyclone-like conditions!!!

Well, the weather only deteriorated overnight. I was being optimistic in hoping that the wind would die down - it did the polar opposite. Upon waking up, I checked the iPhone weather app (which is the meteorologist's equivalent of getting all of your news from Alan Jones) to see that it was currently blowing a 70km/hr southerly wind! I was tossing up whether to run up at North Head (where that 70km/hr would be magnified significantly) or to run around the relatively sheltered Passmore Oval? I went the former, and upon getting home and seeing Tom Highnam's post on Facebook, I think I may have made the right decision - as he put up a photo showing Nolan's Reserve underwater!

Expectations were completely thrown out the window this morning regarding pacing and distance, so accumulating 5.77km for the 20 minutes of Fartlek felt like a win given the attrocious conditions. Honestly, there were parts of the run where I felt I was actually getting pushed backwards - I have never ever run in anything like it! Had a great tailwind for the 8km cool down, except for the final half a kilometre upon turning around at Queenscliff to run to North Steyne - again, moving backwards, but this time with sand penetrating my skin like bullets from a gun! It was definitely one of those mornings where the sane thing to do would have been to stay in bed, and while I must say that I didn't particularly enjoy being out there, I am very glad to have finished the session and done my bit for the day. Only saw one other runner out there this morning (at least I am not the only idiot around). The weather bureau is predicting the worst of the East Coast low pressure system to hit Sydney this morning, with winds progressively reducing over the next few days - great news! To cap the run off, I returned home as the power went off! Couldn't even enjoy a nice cup of rooibos tea post-run!

Conditions at South Curl Curl below - more like a washing machine


No comments:

Post a Comment