Thursday 14 May 2015

Thursday session - I hate tapering!!!

Tapering sounds so much easier than the reality. When you are in the middle of a solid training cycle, the idea of a taper sounds like paradise. When presented with the opportunity to do so, however, it is hell - psychologically that is! You start to second guess yourself - should I do the full session? Should I reduce the intensity? If I go too hard today, will I pay for it on race day? If I don't go hard enough today, will I feel undercooked in a few days time? All of these thoughts are part and parcel of my typical taper period. Today's session was a modified Deek's Quarters - 8 x 200m with a 100m float. I ran up to North Head debating the pros and cons of sticking to this session, or completing the full session as per normal. The former won out in the end, and probably with good reason. I think that the doubt in my mind would have subconsciously held me back in the full session, so the modified was probably the way to go. Still a tough little session, albeit still easier than usual (thanks to the shorter duration). Ran home at the end to bring myself a total of approximately 10-11km. The plan is for an easy 10km tomorrow, along with a massage - then nothing until Sunday. Rest, rest, and more rest! Harder than it sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment