Thursday 18 February 2016

Threshold Thursday (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

A well overdue change of scenery for today's threshold effort. Traditionally I had done this running laps of Passmore Oval for 16km, getting dizzy. Not only that, the GPS would always read different each session - likely leading my stubborn self to run these sessions too hard. The session itself is simply a 16km run with a 20 minute effort at threshold pace in the middle. I actually attempted this session on Saturday, but stopped after three minutes as I wasn't able to hold the goal pace without digging deeper than I needed to. Thankfully today was a different story. The plan was to hold 3:20's for the entire 20 minute effort. Got to turn around under the stone arch (4km) mark in around 3:15-16's. The last few kilometers is a net uphill, and knowing that I was beyond goal pace, it was nice to be able to not push too hard for the final third of the run. Finished with 6.07km in 3:18's. The last 2 or 3 minutes I probably went a bit beyond the red zone, but all-in-all I am very happy with the run. Better than what I had anticipated. This is the same distance I got when I last did a complete Mona Fartlek session (this was the beginning of the end for me in mid January), but today was much more comfortable- which is very encouraging. Continued to run the remainder of the second loop of North Head, before venturing my way back home to North Steyne. Unreal surf out there today - pitty that is all I will see of it today (bloody work)!!! Plan to get out for an easy 8km tonight.

Out for a fashionably late sunset run along the beachfront. Surprised how quickly they managed to set up the stadium for the Australian Open of Surfing Festival, due to start Saturday week. 4:40's, nice and easy. Got over taken by a middle aged plump woman (although, I think she was doing intervals).

No comments:

Post a Comment