Thursday 28 April 2016

Thursday - 6 x 1km (4:30 cycle), 5:30 rest, 1km hard (am) + 40 minutes recovery (pm)

The good news is that I didn't get 'caught out' by this session. I was wise enough (for once) to recognise that the typical rest period had been reduced by 30 seconds. This may not sound like much, but it totally changes the dynamics of the entire session (typically we run these off a 5 minute cycle). Psychologically, I didn't even consider the final rep until I got to that point - I simply focused on getting through the 6 efforts as consistently as possible. I was joined by Darren, Justin and Ben. We met at Manly LSC and ran these in the bike lane up to North Steyne for the odds, back to Manly for the evens. Once again, I didn't look at my pace once until the conclusion of the session. I solely thought about the effort I was putting in - going hard, but keeping it controlled. Just imagined I had Tom next to me to help set the pace. In the end, I was once again consistent - 3:08, 3:08, 3:04, 3:05, 3:06, and 3:05. Quite happy with that (we always want to run faster), especially considering the reduced rest period. At this point Justin and Ben finished up (the former really dug deep, which is great to see)! After a 5:30 rest and chat, Darren and I were off for the final rep. It felt ok with the extra rest between six and seven, but still in no way 'fresh.' Similarly, had no idea of the pace I was holding until I finished. Ended up with 3:04. Not super amazingly fast, but after the previous set I was satisfied. Anyway, I couldn't really stand after this, so I definitely dug deep. Darren got across the line in 3:26, which was essentially the average he held for his previous six reps. A nice easy 5km cooldown along the beachfront for just over 17km all up. Once again, another amazing sunrise!

An easy 8km along the beachfront again tonight. Amazing weather. 8.63km in 4:38's. No rest day tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment