Tuesday 12 April 2016

Tuesday - Broken 10km (4km, 4 x 1km [off 500m jog]) (am) + 40 minutes recovery (pm)

Only myself, Darren, Erika and a broken Jamie this morning. It was wet and miserable. I decided to complete the session on the approximately 1.7km concrete path loop at the edge of Nolan's Reserve, while the others opted for the grass. So essentially a solo session. Held a comfortably hard 3:10 pace for the first 3.2km of the initial 4km effort before my GPS annoyingly lost signal at the eastern turn of the loop and started saying 3:40's. Pissed off, I ran the last 800m harder than I probably should have, finishing the last kilometer in 3:21 (which was over a kilometer). An easy 500m jog followed (about 4:50 pace) before kicking off with the 1000m reps. Not super fast, each with the slow eastern turn right in the middle, but I think I got out 3:08, 3:11, 3:10 and 3:07. Again, I ran these on feel more than looking at my watch. This seems to allow me to run more consistently, and generally sees myself pushing the last rep out as the fastest - something which was never possible in the past. I saw that both Erika and Darren had opted for the footpath in the back half of the session (good call). A nice easy 5km cooldown along the beachfront for just over 19.6km all up. The GPS doesn't seem to like the inclement weather - it did this a few Tuesday's earlier when I ran solo loops of the golf course. Doesn't matter, the effort was definitely there. At least I can back up the claim by looking at the pace analysis section on Strava - a nice random dip on the blue graph just after the 3km mark.

Again, more issues with the GPS. Looking at the map view of my afternoon run, it was all over the place. At one point, it even had me holding 1:05 min/km pace! Really dissatisfied with Garmin - it appears some others on Strava are having similar issues. Anyway, supposedly ran 8.86km at 4:31 min/km pace, holding 121 beats per minute. The latter is the only one I trust at the moment. I would say it was closer to 4:40's. Anyway, just shy of 29km of running for the day - not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment