Tuesday 26 April 2016

Tuesday - 79 minutes continuous (15 easy, 22 fartlek, 5 easy, 22 effort, 15 easy) (am) + 40 minutes recovery (pm)

This is probably my most dreaded session. To make matters worse, Gary switched the order - doing the fartlek followed by the effort. A cruisy 15 minute warm-up before meeting Darren at Queenscliff SLSC ready to kick off the first part. The fartlek was 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 minute efforts with 1 minute floats. I tried to keep the efforts around 3:15's, with the floats just under 3:50's. To my surprise, this went quite fast, and I managed to get out 6.61km for the entire 22 minutes - averaging 3:19's. Couldn't really believe this, as it felt like I was holding back with the knowledge I was going to have to do an encore set very soon after. It was true though, as I finished the effort at the top of the first little hill past Manly LSC on the way to Shelly Beach - exactly where I finished last time on the initial 22 minute effort (and I really went for it that day)! I turned around and caught up with Darren for the 5 minutes of easy jogging between sets. He was determined to keep both parts consistent, as he apparently blew up big time last time out. Commenced the 22 minute effort about 250m before having to turn at Shelly Beach. Decided to run this one purely on feel, with the average pace starting around 3:21's, slowing to a 3:23 by the end; 6.5km. This was hard, but by absolutely no means all out. I reckon I could have pushed a second or two per kilometer quicker, but might not have pulled up so well - especially as I think I will end up close to 160km this week. Need to play it smart. Really happy with the consistency between the two sets (3:19, 3:23 vs. 3:19, 3:27 last time out). A nice and easy 15 minute cooldown for 21.3km continuous, holding 3:43's for the entire session. A lovely way to start the day.

I felt surprisingly great this afternoon for my 40 minutes easy. Really bouncy and springy - much better than last Tuesday afternoon. Managed 8.88km at 4:30 pace. Just over 30km for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment