Saturday 1 September 2018

Saturday - Parkrun

I think I’ve pretty much burnt myself out of doing anymore 15km daily runs, so Parkrun seemed like a better alternative. I had to swallow my pride and accept that it wasn’t going to be fast by any means, especially considering the last time I did any sort of speed work was at the Sydney 10 at the start of May. Having battled with man flu all week, I still wasn’t sure if it was a good idea as I jogged there. I was there, so I may as well at least give it a go. I saw young Lachlan on the starting line, and knew that he was in 17 flat shape, so my plan was to just try and stay with him. The gun went and my lack of speed was severely exposed - I’ve only got one gear at the moment! But I just grinded away, knowing that I had the endurance to compensate. Just before the 1km mark, I was back up to second and could see Lachlan about 20m ahead. And that’s pretty much how it remained, although I progressively wheeled him back in, catching right up to him at the bridge with 600 m to go. But once again, my absolute lack of speed showed, as catching was one thing, overtaking was another. In the end, I finished right behind him, crossing the line in 17:16 (3:27’s). I can’t really complain with that - pretty much exactly where I thought I’d be. A good baseline to build on moving forward. A quick chat with everyone else before jogging back home in time for a Ruby Lane breakfast only to find out the plans have been cancelled. So some freshly baked granola instead isn’t a bad alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment