Thursday 6 September 2018

Thursday - 4 x 1 km (5:00 cycle)

Finally, I got out and did it. I decided yesterday to simply run on feel this morning - if I felt up to it, then go ahead and run a small number of controlled 1 km reps. If not, then just run easy. I knew once I got out of bed that I was in a better mindset. This was confirmed when I warmed up, feeling bouncy once again with a spring in my step. I set myself the limit of four reps before I started, and it needed to be controlled at all times. That I did, running them in 3:22, 3:24, 3:28 and 3:25. Fairly consistent, and happy enough with four in the end. I’ll try and add another rep each week over the next few weeks before gradually reducing the recovery between each rep. A nice and long easy 8 km cool-down along the beachfront.

In retrospect, I am kind of wondering whether the week I’ve just experienced is partially due to the lingering symptoms of the man flu. Looking back, I felt the 5:00 min/km pace cool-down post Parkrun was tough, Sunday’s long run wasn’t fast by any means, but I pulled up quite sore Monday. Even after Monday’s run I was quite sore through the hamstrings. Today is first day feeling like I did pre-man flu. Anyway, I’ll take my usual rest day tomorrow before another attempt at Parkrun on Saturday (not expecting any improvement from last week). Bumped into Chris (a local triathlete) on my cool-down this morning after messaging him last night, and he seems pretty keen to join me for some speed work from next week onwards, so that would be a great bonus. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment