Sunday 2 September 2018

Sunday - 30km

I really changed things up this morning. First of all, I backed the intensity off - partly due to more than usual soreness following yesterday’s first exposure to any speed work, plus the fact that I had decided to run 2 km further. And secondly, I went along the coastal (hilly) route. The big downside to today’s run was the big southerly that had been brewing on my way up the coast - I turned at Turrimetta Headland where I was greeted with an ugly southerly for the return half back home (the splits definitely reflect this). Coupled with some intermittent downpours, it was a rather miserable run home. Nevertheless, I put my ego aside (once again) and kept the pace comfortable - never really having to breathe heavily the entire run (apart from towards the top of Dee Why and Queenscliff headlands, but I think that that is totally understandable). Got back home in a rather slow 2:11:52 in 4:24’s at 142 bpm (although the heart rate would have been lower than that, as it read slightly too high for the first 2 km and then again about 12 km in). The good news is that the pace felt very manageable, and apart from the conditions, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m now really looking forward to changing things up this week starting with an easy recovery run tomorrow. Not expecting much in terms of pace for the planned speed sessions this coming week, it’s simply going to be about getting it done. In that way, it’s actually less stressful as I’ve got no expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment