Thursday 31 January 2019

Thursday - 16 km with middle 20’ at threshold

A disappointing run this morning, although perhaps I’m being hard on myself. After all, it’s currently 25 degrees, and there was a bit of a wind around up there at North Head. Plus I did some strength testing on Tuesday, so there is definitely some residual soreness in my legs. I only managed 5.77 km for the 20 minute effort (3:28’s), but the heart rate was within its normal zone with an average of 170 bpm (actually if anything, it was one or two beats higher than usual). So the effort was definitely there, which I guess is the main objective of this session. Despite the soreness in my legs, I’m still going to go ahead with some more specific strength training - as the testing revealed that I’m in dire need of it. So some residual soreness, especially in the beginning weeks is to be expected. So perhaps it’s one step back initially for two or three steps forward in a month or two (a good long term investment). I’ll rest up now until Saturday - the first race of the season. I’m actually looking forward to it - I’m not expecting much, so am not feeling any pressure whatsoever. I just need to get it done to set a benchmark for the rest for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment