Tuesday 19 February 2019

Tuesday - 17 km easy

I’ve really struggled with soreness over the past two weeks, and today I finally succumbed to it. I haven’t had an easy week since September (23 weeks ago), so I knew deep down I was well overdue for one - it’s just that I’m too stubborn to admit it. I knew all day yesterday that it was going to take a miracle for me to run the planned 1 mile reps this morning, and I was right. Within the first few hundred meters of the warm-up the decision was made. Knowing that Jodie had said he’d meet me at Manly LSC at 5:45 am, I wanted to make sure I found him to tell him that I was pulling the pin. When I found him, he was happy to come for an easy run, so I had some company which was great. We just ran along the beachfront for a bit, before going towards the harbour, where we bumped into Darren. It turns out that Darren decided this morning to join us for the session, but hadn’t told anyone, so when he turned up to find no one there, he did the same as Jodi and I. All up I still got out 17 km, about 7 too many as my legs are absolutely crushed now. I hate having to pull the pin on a session, and I often question myself for the rest of the day - however, today there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I did the right thing. Rather than feeling guilty, I feel relieved. I might take a full day off tomorrow, run an easy 10-15 km on Thursday, followed by my normal rest day on Friday. Will try and get a massage in between now and Saturday as well. So all in all, a well overdue recovery week.

No comments:

Post a Comment