Tuesday 29 September 2015

Tuesday session - Mona Fartlek (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Really on struggle street this morning. The legs were definitely not up for it following the long run only 48 hours earlier. Switched my mind off by simply focusing on getting the session done, irrespective of the distance/pace/time achieved. Matty joined me once again, but tweaked the session by running 20 minutes at threshold pace instead. Nonetheless, his presence made it more bearable. Probably ran up to North Head too quickly, didn't realise until we were there. Psyched myself up, and after much deliberation and procrastination, finally started the session. Had voices inside my head trying to convince me to stop from as early as the second 90 second rep. Ignored these, and it wasn't until the 10 minute mark that I realised that I was onto something special this morning. My only reluctance was if in fact that I had gone out too hard. Needless to say, the final 10 minutes was simply about holding on, trying to maintain some resemblance of what defines running technique. Like always, the 20 minutes of the Mona Fartlek feels like an eternity of pain. Perhaps Einstein was right when he stated that time was NOT a constant variable - I would certainly attest to this based on Steve's session! In the end, very happy to finish with a new benchmark of 6.18km, averaging 3:14 min/km pace for the 20 minutes. Couldn't move or talk properly for about 5 minutes, and wanted to collapse, but thought about the repercussions of having to get back up (which at the time would have been impossible). Chatted with Matty for a nice cool-down back home to North Steyne for 17km all up. Just about to jump into the ocean on this glorious spring day! Got an easy (and I mean 'easy') 8km on the cards for this afternoon as per usual.

Unbelievable weather coupled with school holidays led to a shit fight in terms of crowd control this afternoon. Nevertheless, just happy to be out there amongst it for a nice and easy recovery run. 4:41 min/km pace averaging 118 beats per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment