Saturday 28 May 2016

Saturday cross-training - 30 minute effort (off 5 minutes), 10 x 500m (off 60 seconds) (am) + 40 minute spin on the stationary bike (pm)

I was so close to running this morning. Went to bed last night almost painfree. Had the alarm set, running gear ready. First few steps out of bed didn't feel amazing (much better though). Thought I would run through it. Went downstairs to hop into the car before deciding to try a quick test run for 50m or so. It was still there, and it was a 50/50 call. The new, mature self reasoned it was better to forgo another run as opposed to risk it and set myself back another few days. I reluctantly went to the gym and sat back on my new best mate - the Concept 2 rower. 30 minute effort (2:00/500m pace average) felt tough, but came home strong. Much stronger than Thursday's effort, and faster. A 5 minute rest followed by 10 x 500m efforts. These were all around 1:57/500m pace. Not super fast, but not too bad following a 30 minute effort. This got me to 12.7km. I thought I would go for a 20 minute cooldown, but the OCD nature of myself ended up going for 5.3km to total 18km all up. Again, quite boring, but the Achilles feels better now that I have some blood flowing to the area. I'll aim to get a 40 minute spin in tomorrow. Two hours is on the program tomorrow, but if the Achilles feels ok, then perhaps a 60 minute row followed by a 60 minute jog along the beachfront might be a smarter return to running. Fingers crossed.

Making the most of my 7 day free trial at the local gym - 40 minutes easy on the stationary bike. 18.2km. Kept the gear low so could get 90 rpm in an attempt to replicate a 180 cadence of running. Keep the neuromuscular system stimulated. Absolutely no pain at all walking or hopping, and no anti-inflammatories since 6am!

No comments:

Post a Comment