Sunday 15 May 2016

SMH Half Marathon - DNF

Felt great going into this one. Warmed-up, strides felt controlled, etc. The gun went and I went for it. In summary, I went out too hard, and never actually felt comfortable from the get go. Started to really struggle around the 7-8km mark. Needed to go to the toilet, but convinced myself to hold on. We were in a strong group - Hoey looking strong, and a few others who I didn't know. Hoey and another had just pulled out a slight lead coming into the 10km mark, which we went through in 33:24. I think I went through this same point at 34:00 last year. From then it was absolute misery - I was gone. A few kilometers in the 3:30's, then I was in 4:30 territory. Every step the stomach felt worse and worse. Wanted to finish, but when high 4:30's are a struggle and feeling like throwing up, my mum was at the finish line so went to finish there without the Mrs. Macquire's chair loop to finish off. So about 18km all up. Saw Scotty there - he got to the 12-13km mark and had a similar issue. I tried my best to back up after last week, but just didn't have it. Although I don't regret it, as I am still so proud of what I achieved last Saturday - so whatever today was going to be, it was only going to be a bonus. Great run by Hoey, and Toby finishing strong. Didn't hang around at all, so not too sure how everyone else faired. Disappointed, but I will move on. At least I know that it wasn't a lack of fitness or overtraining that led me to today's result - I think it was simply a case of trying to back up and going out too hard. 7 weeks until the Gold Coast Half Marathon, I will try and redeem myself up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment