Saturday 7 May 2016

Sydney 10 - New PB 32:23

Slightly nervous (a bit of an understatement) coming into this one. It was the sight of my best 10km from 12 months earlier, and I hadn't really gone anywhere near that time since. Like all runners, you always want to run faster! Did a solo warm-up and realised that the GPS was still playing up. Tried deleting some old data - this seemed to do the trick. Met with a few of the others as we walked to the start line. Nice day, but a hell of a lot of smoke around - must have been back burning? The gun went and I saw a pack, so stuck with them. We were the second group, the leaders surprisingly not really putting much of a gap on us until a few kilometers in. Just after the 2km mark, I had to make decision (which ended up being decisive). I was on the back of the pack and about to be dropped. I felt that the pace was slightly too fast, and that these guys were going for 32 flat. Neil had just come past me, so I thought to just dig deep and see where it takes me. Great decision in the end, as we managed to progressively drop some of the others, such as Scotty, CT, Robin, the other Robin, and eventually Neil. Got through the first 5km in just under 15:40! Bloody quick! Felt great though. It wasn't until the final climb back up from 8km that the wheels started to fall off. Then that last kilometer - absolute torture, made worse with a hill into the stadium. This is where I fell off the back of the pack. Looked at the watch with a kilometer to go, and realised all I had to do was run a 4:00 minute final kilometer to run a PB! Relieved, I still pushed as hard as I could, coming in 22nd outright in 32:23! Absolutely stoked, and smashed. Watched the others come in - Robin, CT, the other Robin, and Neil all breaking the 33 minute barrier, Scotty just outside. Happy days! A nice 5km cool-down with a few of the others, before finally agreeing to meet with Hoey and Lorie for brunch at Kepos St Kitchen. Well worth the wait, amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment