Sunday 8 November 2015

Sunday long run - 30km

A nice tailwind for the first half, then a moderate headwind for the journey home. The plan today was to stick as close to 4:00's as possible. Didn't really pay attention too much for the first couple of km's, in terms of pace - merely focusing on the effort and keeping my heart rate in check. To my surprise, I was comfortably holding 3:55's at the halfway mark. I figured it must have been the tailwind. Had to keep backing the pace off a bit on the way back, as the heart rate was getting slightly too high at times. Again, effort wise it wasn't taxing at all - especially in comparison to last week. Only really noticed yesterday's race coming up Queenscliff headland at the 29km mark - feeling harder than usual. Finished with a 3:53 average, holding a much more respectable 151 heart rate compared to last weekend's blow out!

All up, got told off by two men at Long Reef who were walking side-by-side on the footpath - taking up the entire path as they were walking directly towards me. I kept to the left as far as I could without physically leaving the footpath. Needless to say, we clashed! Rather than apologising (which to be honest I wouldn't have cared anyway), they proceeded to tell me off. Can't really see the logic??? Then, running past a bus stop, I scared the hell out a lady sitting there. She screamed like I have never heard before! She was sitting there. I was running past. Go figure? The there were the two separate lady's coming out of driveways, only looking towards their right side to see if there were cars coming before pulling out (I was on their left side). And last but not least, a husband and wife (assuming) decided that it would be a great idea to have a conversation at the end of the narrow footpath on the way from Freshwater SLSC to Pilu's Restaurant - while they let their dog with an expandable leash sniff out the grass on the other side of the footpath. Hurdles I can handle, but I am not known for my steeplechasing prowess. All this occurring while they simply watched me - which felt like slow motion given the amount of time they had to act. But, it's a Sunday morning I guess. I kinda laughed it off, given how ridiculous it was. These are just examples of the every days stresses of being a runner on the Northern Beaches. I know, first world problems right! At least I won't write into the Manly Daily and whinge!

No comments:

Post a Comment