Tuesday 10 November 2015

Tuesday session - 5 x 1 mile, 2 minutes standing rest (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

It's been a long time since I have done a session like this. Forgot how hard they are, and the importance of pacing appropriately. The session was one mile repeats, with two minutes standing rest. It is the latter component that I am really not used to. To be honest, I think a light jog would have actually made the session more comfortable. Decided to complete the session between Manly LSC and Queenscliff SLSC - in the bike lane of course, which happens to be exactly one mile in length. A bit nervous about pedestrian traffic, given the beautiful morning, but it was never an issue (until the cool-down). Probably went out a bit too hard in the first two reps, averaging 3:07 min/km pace. 3:12, 3:16, before blowing out to 3:21 min/km pace for the last rep - really feeling the effects of Saturday's race in my legs. Averaged 5:08, equaling 3:12 min/km pace for all 5 reps. Not bad, would have liked to have gone 3:10, but a great benchmark nonetheless. The other good thing was that, apart from the first rep, I was oblivious to the actual pace as I turned the screen to a different setting, ensuring that I completed the session on feel. I actually think that I would have blown up far greater had I had the realtime feedback, as I would have attempted to push 3:07's for the third and possibly fourth reps. 3km warm-up and 5.5km cool-down, 17km all up.

Out for another lunch run - 8km easy, averaging 4:32's at 126 beats per minute. Only got told off once, which I thought was generous considering how many people were out enjoying this beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment