Thursday 5 November 2015

Thursday session - 16km run with 20 minutes at threshold pace (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Rubbish conditions this morning sent me to Passmore Oval's infamous 650m loop. The plan was 16km solid with 20 minutes at threshold pace in the middle (i.e. 3:15-3:20 pace). Set out averaging 3:57's for the first 5km. Took it up for the middle 20 minutes, although due to the stupid settings on my watch I was unable to get a proper reading of my average pace for the effort. So had to guess it. After 10 minutes, I knew that I was going to fast, based on both perceived effort and the fact that I had gone about 3.1km! Held back ever so slightly for the remaining 20 minutes. Ended up averaging 3:15's - slightly too fast. Finished the remainder of the run in 3:48's. All up, 16km in 3:38's. Probably not as hard as Mona Fartlek or Quarters, but surprisingly not much easier. I think the fact that the run is continuous really has an effect.

Out for a later run tonight. Windy, but no rain. Great opportunity to dry all my wet running gear from this morning! 4:35's with a very nice and relaxed 122 heart rate. Felt comfortable out there.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good one. I would add some undulations though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was initially the plan, but the weather was atrocious so just played it safe at Passmore. Always more than welcome to join in!

      Delete