Thursday 26 November 2015

Thursday session - 16km run with 20 minutes at threshold pace (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Brutal conditions this morning. Up much earlier today as I have to be at uni for the Annual Motor Impairment Seminar. Lucky this was the case, as my phone was reading a hot 28 degrees at 6:10am!!! I thought it must have been a typo, but then it did explain my restless sleep last night. Decided to do the session nonetheless, but made sure that I really listened to my body today. Told myself that pace was almost irrelevant (doesn't always work on me). Got the first 5km out arguably too fast in 3:46's, before storming off for the 20 minutes at threshold. Really started coming unstuck at the 10 minute mark, where I was actually holding 3:09-10 pace (too quick). Suffered in the back half, really just convincing myself to simply get to 15 minutes, before somehow going the full 20. Slowed down somewhat from 10-15 minutes, but then picked it up ever so slightly for the final 5 minutes. Finished with 3:13 average. Despite being slower than last week, I was really happy with this - given how bloody hot it was. Finished the remaining distance to clock up 16km - averaging 3:34's for the entire distance (I think that the final part read too far this week, so probably slightly slower than that)! Matty came along and spoke intermittently (hopefully next week we can tie it in together). Saw Tom running to the bubbler after his 4 x 2km session. He had similar thoughts regarding the heat! And lastly, saw my old friend and Olympic Bronze Medallist from Beijing Chantal Minchin (née Meek) and her three young children. Gee time flies!

Out late tonight, and couldn't have been any different to this morning. Cool, strong southerly, and raining (and dark)! 4:31's at 118 beats per minute - felt effortless!

No comments:

Post a Comment