Thursday 31 December 2015

Threshold Thursday (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

This has gone from a dreaded session to my favourite weekly run (probably because it is the second quickest run, in terms of duration)! Was joined by Matty Abel this morning, although his warm-up and cool-down were 3km instead of my 5km, so we were somewhat out of sync. Nevertheless, it's just nice to have someone else out there suffering alongside you sometimes. After feeling flat for the past week, it was nice to set a new benchmark for the 20 minute effort. As always, the watch gave unrealistic readings - but finished at the end of the third table and chair adjacent to the Mackellar sign across the road - signalling further than before. This was actually a massive relief, as I had begun to think that perhaps I was starting to spiral towards overtraining again. I think the key is to really put the brakes on during Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday's runs. 16km all up, and dizzy from running about 25-6 laps of Passmore Oval anti-clockwise. Second last run of 2016.

Learnt from Tuesday NOT to run along the esplanade during the Christmas to NYE break (unless it is first thing in the morning). So ran eight laps of North Steyne SLSC to Queenscliff SLSC (just what I needed on a Thursday - more laps)! The first one or two laps were horrible and mind numbing - but things improved from there on in. It was actually quite relaxing once I got going. Saw Tom running the other direction and high-fives him (with my keys in my hand). A comfortable pace at 4:30's at 119 beats per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment