Tuesday 15 December 2015

Tuesday session - Mona Fartlek (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Just as my good mate Hoey dreads his 14 x 3 minutes session (which coincidentally appears on today's HuRTS calendar), I absolutely resent Mona Fartlek. It honestly makes me more nervous than lining up at the start of a 10km or half marathon race! Sure it is shorter, but what it lacks in duration it well and truly compensates for via intensity and brutality. Coupled with the fact that I essentially ran the session weekly from April to October this year, it's fair to say that I am somewhat scarred by Steve's twenty minutes of hell. Reluctantly got out of bed and toed the line solo to North Head (aka the Pain Cave). The one session I actually prefer running by myself, as it is extremely anti-social! Felt good from the get go, but always ran within myself. It is very easy to get carried away thinking that the 90 second efforts are the hardest, but those 30 second bursts at the end are enou to make a grown man cry. I knew that at the 10 minute mark I was on for something good, but didn't want to get carried away as there is still a long way to go. Almost stopped at 4.8km, only because this would have been a big PB for the Quarter's session - 15:04! Kept going though, despite my legs and lungs best wishes. Held on until the end (obviously), finishing in 6.26km! Massive new bench mark, easily beating the previous 6.19km four weeks earlier. In fact, it was the biggest gain I have ever made between successive Mona Fartlek's! 3:12's average. A cyclist got concerned post session and asked if I needed some help. I laughed (well, tried to anyway) and told him that I was fine (lying). Regained some consciousness and jogged back home. 17km all up.

Out at lunch for an easy 8km recovery. 4:36's at 119.

No comments:

Post a Comment