Saturday 8 October 2016

Saturday - Mona Fartlek (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Very rarely is this a session of choice these days. Well, I chose it this morning. And despite it being rather unglamorous (which is no surprise), I reckon it is just what I needed. Solo and along the beachfront, a change a scenery can bury the psychological demons of doing this session solo. A ver balmy morning meant going shirtless (which after a break is quite unfair for the surrounding members of the public - at least I wasn't wearing my Malaysian Budgey Smugglers)! Up and down the bike line starting at the southern end outside Manly LSC. Despite being the same duration as Thursday's 20 minute threshold, today's 20 minute fartlek is a different beast altogether. The session goal was to aim to go slightly faster than Thursday - which I just managed. Finished with 5.76km, holding 3:28's. Looking on Strava post-run reveals that the first two kilometers were 3:18 and 3:19 respectively. Quite happy with that, as I really didn't think I had that in me at the moment. Any wonder the back half of that I was suffering badly! I won't mention my splits for the second half, but the maths can be done. I was spent, so at least it is not a lack of effort. The two key principles I am sticking by at the moment are 'patience' and 'consistency.' Not having the pressure of any up and coming races is nice as well. As long as I stick to the plan and continue to make some progress over the weeks and months, then I am happy. Plodded for a 5km cooldown for 15.55km all up. Time to jump into the ocean!

Out again this afternoon for an easy jog. Focused on keeping the cadence high. 4:38's.

No comments:

Post a Comment