Tuesday 25 October 2016

Tuesday - Exhausted, 10km easy

I was kidding myself trying to do a session this morning. In all honesty, I should have headed the warning signs from the end of last week. Simply put, my speed sessions have been horribly slow! Last Tuesday's was ok, then Thursday I felt average (blamed the wind, which was fair enough), but Saturday was just slow (slower than Tuesday, and shorter)! And I was absolutely exhausted after it! Averaging 3:25's for 4.8km on a flat course in great conditions is not a good sign (especially when I have held 3:20's for 21.1km)! The thing is that the slower runs are not the problem, they are feeling progressively better. But the fact that I was getting slower each hard session is a sign that I am not ready for the speed work just yet. I got out there this morning, bypassed the hills (made the decision running up Darley St), and decided since I was out, I may as well make something out it. Plus, it was a beautiful morning. Too hard to resist. Decided to make it double figures, so ran a 10km loop nice and easy. Not sure what to do for the rest of this week (and probably next week). I don't think I need complete rest, perhaps a week or two of lower easy mileage. It seems to have done the trick in the past (generally these episodes last around 6 weeks, and I am currently just beginning week 5). I still love running, which is encouraging. The good thing is that there is no rush, with no planned races until 2017. Just want to get it right!

3 comments:

  1. Just leave your watch behind Lewis and run your sessions on feel. You obsess too much about how one session compares to the next. It's all about the long term cumulative effect I was chatting to Benny Saint about this this evening (moaning about how tough my own session was). He said he used to run similar session purely on feel and concentrating on form when things felt tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tom, I always appreciate your advise. I'm going to take it easy this week (don't have any races until 2017), and if all goes well, I will try a session on Saturday - without looking at my watch. I hope your ankle is ok!

      Delete
  2. Running is good for health. You should share some pictures also. Your readers like me want to see pictures too.

    ~Gagan

    ReplyDelete