Saturday 10 October 2015

Saturday session - 20 minutes threshold (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Felt great (although heavy - too much dinner last night, but it was so yum) after a rest day, first in three months. The plan for today was 7km at no faster than 3:20 min/km pace. In other words, strong but controlled - comfortably hard, but not strenuous. The location was the oval at Mt. Steele at Moore Park. I was joined by about 8 others, while the rest of the squad completed 20 hill repeats on a 2:00 cycle. Went out slightly hard, letting Matty Hudson go out and dominate. Got through the first kilometre in 3:15, followed by the next 5km in 3:20 pace. The issue was, I was really pushing hard to hold this pace. I was way above threshold pace! My mind started convincing me that I was not up for Melbourne, given that the goal is to hold this pace for 21.1km! Matt hit exactly 7km when he drew level with me (i.e. as soon as he came to lap me). I decided to stop at this point, as I was starting to suffer too much. My GPS read 6.15km to his 7km - albeit mine was a lap shy of his. Given that the loop is 450m, and the fact that everyone else got the same distance as Matt, I reckon that my GPS was under-reading the distance quite substantially (I certainly hope it was)! Therefore, my supposed 3:21 min/km pace was more likely 3:08 min/km pace - way too fast for a threshold effort!!! Effort-wise, it certainly felt like 3:08 pace. Anyway, who cares! Melbourne is next week, feeling good and fit, so let's see what happens! A lap of the white fence for a warm-up and cool-down for about 15.5km all up. Might get back out for another easy run this afternoon, followed by a slower and shorter long run tomorrow.

Out for an easy 8km recovery run this afternoon. Averaged 4:38 min/km pace at 123 beats per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment